Lakeport Community Association

Junction of Elm Street and Union Avenue, Lakeport Square, NH

Lakeport Community Assoiciation Mission

     The Lakeport Community Association was established in 1997 (known as the Lakeport Community Action Committee) and held its first meeting on March 4, 1997.  Its mission was to "preserve, yet improve the Lakeport Community".  Dues set to be either non-existent or very low.

     The activities of the Lakeport Community Association are devoted to community involvment through annual clean up, plantings and decorations of Torrey Park; annual care of the historic chestnut tree in Torrey Park; community events commemorating anniversaries such as the Great Fire of Lakeport 1903 and the 100th Anniversary of the Goss Reading Room; Good Neighbor Day; donations and support of the Goss Reading Room; participating activities and events for local residents including those at Lake Village; holiday and seasonal decorations of Torrey Park and Lakeport Square; restoration and care of Bond Beach; Adopt-A-Spot; ongoing collections of Lakeport and Boston & Maine Railroad  memorabilia; programs of interest on local history open to the general public; providing forums for the campaigns of local officials; representing the community's interest and many other community improvements. 

     The Lakeport Community Association is devoted to the  community presevation in the rehabilitaion and preservation of the Lakeport Freighthouse in Lakeport, circa 1899, the only remaining railroad building of the former hub of the Boston & Maine Railroad and others.  

     The future opening the Lakeport Freighthouse as a museum and community center to the public is being achieved through the fund-raising efforts of its members and is anticipated to open in 2008.  The museum will contain Lakeport and railroad memorabilia in hopes of educating future generations on the history of Lakeport and it will serve as a community center open to the public. 

     The Lakeport Community Association will continue to petition for the presevation of historical sites in the community and the conservation of its natural resources.